Monday, January 8, 2007

Indoor Basketball (with handicapping)

# of Players: 2+
Equipment Needed: A soft ball that can be used indoors
Time per Game: 5 minutes
Age Group: 5+

Like father, like son. I've only been writing this blog for a few days now, but it's made me more aware of my fondness for making up games and thinking through the rules. This weekend, I got a hint that my 6-year-old son may be wired in a similar way. As a proud dad, I had to make a quick posting, even though the game described here is pretty basic.

A few minutes before his bedtime on Saturday night, we placed a cylindrical clothes hamper in the middle of our family room, and with a soft ball (we were using the one that comes with the Fisher Price hoop, but any ol' ball will do), we took turns trying to shoot baskets into it. Each of us stood about 6 feet away from the hamper, with my son on one side and me opposite him. For some reason, we counted each made basket as 5 points, and we decided to play to 25 points (you can, of course, vary the points per basket and targeted winning score).

After a few attempts, it became clear that, having many more years experience shooting baskets, I'd win the game. Without hesitation, my son added a twist, handicapping things like one might a match between two unevenly skilled golfers. I had to shoot with my eyes shut. I still had a fun time with this added challenge, and it felt fair to me. But starting the game anew, he beat me 20 to 5. By the way, aside from providing a little activity, the game teaches counting by fives (or whatever "points per basket" scoring you want to use).

A variant on the game: instead of shooting baskets through the air, play the same game requiring that the ball bounce on the ground 1 time before entering the hamper.

No comments: